Take Action: Ask the California Department of Public Health for guidance for opening residential programs.

A lack of guidance for resident programs is crippling the organized camp and outdoor education industry right now. Even being able to see the guidelines would allow those programs to prepare to open when that becomes an option. We have been working behind the scenes with our contacts at CDPH and the Governor’s office, but we also need pressure from legislators. 


Each and every program in California represented by at least two members of the California Legislature, and we’re asking you to write to them to ask them to put pressure on the State Department of Public Health. We all understand how vital getting this guidance now is, but we need to make sure that government officials understand that as well. 


Call to action: Send two emails and 4 letters

Here’s what we’re asking for:

  1. If you don’t have contacts for your legislators in your email, go to this link, and it will send you to a contact page for your state Senator and Assemblymember.  

  2. Here’s a form letter you can use for that electronic communication. There is a character limit, so there isn’t much room to ad-lib here. Just update your program name and your role and paste it into the contact form on your legislator’s website. 

  3. We’d also like you to send a paper version of that letter. The text for that is here. Please send that letter on your organization's letterhead. 


Send that letter to your Senator and Assemblymember, as well as to


Dr. Mark Ghaly, Secretary of the Health and Human Services Agency

1600 Ninth Street, Room 460

Sacramento, CA 95814


Sandra Shewry, Director of the California Department of Public Health

P.O. Box 997377, MS 0500, 

Sacramento, CA 95899-7377


Please also copy Cathy Barankin on any email you send (cbarankin@aol.com)

And any snail mail at


 770 L Street, Suite 950 

Sacramento, CA 95814.

©2017 by California Collaboration for Youth. Proudly created with Wix.com